Saturday, March 28, 2015

Vampire Stories Don't Have to Suck

Count Dracula. Everyone knows the story of Count Dracula. Except a lot of people have not read Bram Stoker's Dracula novel.

I am just finishing reading it and I am absolutely loving it. I will confess that I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I am. I actually find vampire stories rather boring and I have not really enjoyed the Dracula movies that I have seen.

So why am I enjoying the original novel so much? It is actually a very fresh manner of storytelling. This novel is not a straight forward narrative. Rather the novel reads as a collection of diary entries, newspaper articles, letters and other reports arranged in chronological order. If someone in the story did not write the events down on paper, it does not make it into the novel.

This creative way of storytelling is helping me to enjoy the story more than if it was just put down in a traditional narrative style.

That is fine for Bram Stoker but what about you? I am not suggesting that you copy Stoker (although a story made up of Twitter tweets, Facebook updates and Pinterest images could be interesting). Rather I would like to encourage you to think (or write) outside the box. What fresh ways are available for you to tell your story? Don't jump straight into tradition. Plan out your plot and imagine what ways you could express this story to your readers.

I hope that you have found something in this post that you can sink your teeth into.

Dracula


No comments:

Post a Comment